How we began and where we are now:
Apple Task Force formed.
Mt. Carmel (now Via Christi), Pittsburg State University, and Pittsburg School District (USD 250) jointly applied for and received the first Pritchett Trust Grant awarded.
Spring through Summer 1995
Incorporated as a not-for-profit, received additional funding from a variety of sources, hired a coordinator, completed a feasibility study, explored potential sites, signed a memoranda of agreement with 14 agencies, and was chosen as one of five pilot sites in the state for a Family Support Grant.
Leased Lincoln School from Pittsburg School District (USD 250) and received a Child Care Development Block Grant.
Summer and Fall 1997
Renovated and refurbished Lincoln School and was licensed for child care and preschool for 142 children by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. August 25, 1997: First day of services. Oct. 5, 1997: Grand opening and dedication.
Expanded and renovated the custodial closet and lounge area to create the Bumblebees and Turtles rooms.
Added Migrant Even Start.
Added Smart Start Crawford County
Opened Infant Center with Smart Start funds at Grace United Methodist Church
August 2002 - November 2002
Began first Babies to Kindergarten program, funded Community Health.
Added Resource and Referral
Mt. Carmel transferred ownership of Community Health to CHCSEK, Inc.
Opened Frontenac clinic.
Added Smart Start Southeast Kansas (Bourbon and Cherokee counties)
Opened Dental Clinic.
Added Early Intervention Services Birth to 3.
The CHC moved to a new building at 3011 N. Michigan.
Added a pilot pre-K in Pittsburg, Arma and Frontenac.
Added a pilot pre-K in Girard and ended the Migrant Event Start/Migrant Family Literacy Program.
Raised more than $2 million to renovate 1600 N. Walnut, and moved to the new location with more than 200 volunteers. The Center didn't close for one day for services to families.
Transferred ownership of 1600 N. Walnut to USD 250, and leased the building back from the district.
Transferred ownership of 1700 N. Locust to the City of Pittsburg.
By October 1997, we had surpassed an enrollment of 200 and had a waiting list of 50. Our staff numbered 26 and we had numerous collaborating partners, as well as a 12-member board. Our funding was 75 percent user fees, 25 percent grants, donations and gifts in-kind.
By December 2003, our enrollment had grown to 425 and our waiting list to 90. Our staff numbered 96. Our funding was 40 percent user fees, 60 percent grants, donations and gifts in-kind.
By August 2005, our enrollment reached 500 and still our waiting list hovered just under 100. Our funding was at 30 percent user fees, 70 percent grants, donations and gifts in-kind.